About The Position
Are you a talented writer who can distill and explain complicated financial topics in clear, approachable, and even entertaining prose?
We are looking for an enthusiastic staff writer – who specializes in personal finance topics such as investing, credit and consumer debt, real estate, financial planning, tax, and insurance - to join our editorial team.
You will work closely with site editors, other staff writers, editorial assistants, and freelancers. As a staff writer, you should be able to perform thorough research on various topics and have a keen eye for detail. Ultimately, you should be able to deliver good quality content like in-depth financial articles, reviews, and features.
As a staff writer, you will pitch new content ideas, outline articles, interview subject-matter experts, and write a variety of different types of content including feature stories, how-to guides, product reviews, personality profiles, and even video scripts.
Your content will be featured under your byline on one or more wide-reaching personal finance advice websites which include MoneyUnder30.com, DoughRoller.net,
InvestorJunkie.com, YouandThrifty.ca, and GreedyRates.ca. Working together with a team of writers, editors, and engagement specialists, your content will reach millions of readers each month and help them to make informed and prudent financial decisions.
What’s the Job?
- Perform research on different financial topics
- Analyze and interpret findings by breaking down data
- Uncover newsworthy stories
- Interview key people (experts, sources etc.)
- Write content with readers’ needs in mind
- Ensure your pieces are accurate and objective
- Establish contacts and sources to use in future research
- Maintain notes in written or electronic form
- Contribute to content idea generation for publication
- Stay up-to-date with local, national, and international affairs
- At least 3 years of experience as a journalist with experience covering personal finance or
- similarly complex financial subjects
- Exacting research and reporting skills
- Excellent writing skills and a strong command of English grammar
- The ability to tell an engaging story in both long- and short-from content
- A dedication to factual accuracy and editorial integrity• At least a basic familiarity with SEO best practices
- Ability to work independently while managing multiple projects and meeting deadlines
- Comfort participating in team discussions and pitching new ideas
- Regular collaboration both with editorial peers and other departments (e.g., SEO, client
- success, sales and product management) in different locations/time-zones. This may
- require a flexible workday that involves either early-morning or evening meetings
- (depending on your location).
- Flexibility to learn and adapt to new work processes as we work to design and implement
- and agile-based approach to publishing
- A portfolio of published articles
- Computer proficiency (MS Office, digital editing, web search and databases); experience
- with WordPress preferred
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in a relevant field (e.g., journalism, English, communications
- and/or business, finance or economics)
Webpals Finance, a division of XLMedia, Plc., is a leading publisher of personal finance information websites serving readers in the United States and Canada. Our content helps consumers learn about money management and make informed decisions when choosing financial products and services. Our business model matches motivated consumers with over 100 advertising partners seeking to acquire new customers.
The Webpals Finance portfolio includes our seven core brands: MoneyUnder30.com, Doughroller.net, InvestorJunkie.com,
YoungandThrifty.ca, Greedyrates.ca, and ConsumerismCommentary.com.
Our parent company, XLMedia is a publicly traded company on the London AIM stock exchange (XLM). As a group, XLMedia publishes hundreds of websites in several different verticals and dozens of different countries. We have over 250 employees in offices in New York, Austin, TX, London, Tel Aviv, and Cyprus, and remote positions around the globe.