About The Position
We are looking for a talented editor with experience covering personal finance in Canada to join our team. You will lead a group of between five and eight writers and editors to create and publish original articles pertaining to Canadian banking, credit cards, mortgages and investing. Working under the Content Director and with support from a Content Strategist, Brand Strategist and SEO Manager, you will be responsible for all new content published on the website. You will collaborate with members of your team and in other departments to come up with content ideas and then manage the development process from article assignment to revision and publication. If you’re a creative, motivated individual who enjoys both producing top-tier digital articles and leading other creatives, we would like to meet you.
What’s the Job?
- Lead a team of remote editors and staff writers to manage the production of up to 15 articles per week – from idea to publication
- Hire and manage a roster of freelance writers; collect freelancers’ invoices and submit for payment
- Research personal finance trends, news and products to inform new content ideas
- Create and maintain annual and quarterly editorial calendars for your assigned websites
- Assign articles to staff writers and freelancer
- Set expectations and enforce deadlines
- Edit copy for clarity, comprehensiveness, factual accuracy and SEO best practices
- Working according to an Agile workflow, coordinate with SEO analysis, compliance specialists, and social media managers to ready content for publication
- Use various tools to generate keyword ideas, check copy for content gaps, and optimize copy for SEO
- Layout articles in our content management system
- Work with the Content Director, Content Strategist, and other Lead Editors to develop and maintain style books and editorial standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Collaborate with Client Success Managers to write review and sponsored articles, or to integrate partner content into existing articles, when appropriate
- Leverage the website’s brand book and collaborate with our Brand Manager to ensure content from multiple writers provides a consistent brand experience
- Periodically review existing content to identify outdated information or opportunities to improve and/or update
- Excellent command of English writing and grammar (French fluency is a plus)
- Strong storytelling and editing skills
- Experience using WordPress
- Extensive knowledge of personal finance including budgeting, banking, investing, credit, real estate, insurance, taxes, cryptocurrency and more.
- Experience living, banking, and paying taxes in Canada as a citizen, resident, or former resident
- Some management experience preferred
- Ability to brainstorm new content ideas and prioritize article assignments while balancing reader interest, SEO value and revenue potential
- Basic knowledge of SEO best practices preferred
- Experience using Trello, Asana, Jira or a similar project-management system
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Webpals Finance, a division of XLMedia, Plc., is a leading publisher of personal finance information websites serving readers in the United States and Canada. Our content helps consumers learn about money management and make informed decisions when choosing financial products and services. Our business model matches motivated consumers with over 100 advertising partners seeking to acquire new customers. The Webpals Finance portfolio includes our seven core brands: MoneyUnder30.com, Doughroller.net, InvestorJunkie.com, YoungandThrifty.ca, Greedyrates.ca, and ConsumerismCommentary.com.
Our parent company, XLMedia is a publicly traded company on the London AIM stock exchange (XLM). As a group, XLMedia publishes hundreds of websites in several different verticals and dozens of different countries. We have over 250 employees in offices in New York, Austin, TX, London, Tel Aviv, and Cyprus, and remote positions around the globe.